From Grand Explorador we want to let you know the NGO SETEM.
SETEM was born in 1968 in Catalonia, specifically in Barcelona and casually in an environment close to me, Sonsoles. So when last year it came again crossing my life I made a space in my agenda so I could learn and talk about it. Up to now, I am going to talk from the information point of view, as I have been gathering some knowledge from the organization. And at the end of this year I will speak to you from the point of view of the experience, as I will embark more deeply on this project.
Let’s start by knowing the typology of NGOs that exist
- NGOs for humanitarian emergencies, management of specific disasters.
- NGOs of international cooperation that promote the realization of projects of 4 or 5 years of duration at international level.
- Awareness-raising NGOs. Through experiences and communication transmit a sensitivity versus way of life in other areas of the planet.
Some data from SETEM:
- Currently it has 9 territorial delegations in the Spanish country.
- In Catalonia it has territorial delegations in Badalona, Girona, Manresa and Tarragona.
- It currently has 11,000 members
How SETEM defines itself?
- It is defined as a secular entity, although its origins were religious.
- It subscribes to the ethical code of the Catalan Federation of NGDOs and to the Code of Conduct of the Coordinators of NGOs for Development in Spain.
What are their goals?
- Raise awareness of the differences that exist between the countries of the north and those of the south.
- Promote actions of participation and solidarity to make known these differences and from the knowledge to foment the changes.
- Generate mobilization and collective action to know these differences and act versus their reduction.
What are the strategic lines to achieve your goals?
- To promote campaigns of information and social punishement through Campaign Clean Clothes, BlancaArmada, ChangeourShoes with proposals to transform society.
- To participate in citizen events such as the “Fair Trade Fair and Ethical Banking”, Electronics Watch, “PAM to PAM”, Mobil Social Congress. These include the dissemination and commercialization of fair trade products to promote and extend responsible consumption.
- To participate in training programs in order to educate on solidarity and human values. Programs offered through the UOC, the University Rovira and Virgili and training in institutes and colleges in the courses of ESO and Baccalaureate.
- To promote volunteering through the organization of solidarity camps.